1973 Chevy 350 need help diagnosing compression readings

Thread: 1973 Chevy 350 need help diagnosing compression readings

1973 Chevy 350 need help diagnosing compression readings

Does anyone know why the needle on a compression tester would bounce between a normal max reading (125 psi) then to zero and do this constantly as the engine is cranked? The tester/gauge is good because I have other cylinders that read exactly as they should ("pump" up to max as engine cranks). I've done quite a bit of searching for an answer to this symptom but nothing so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CamaroOwners.com
    Advertisements

Blow by, valve issues, leaky connection into the head...just to start....does the engine run?

Yes, it does run and only seems to have a slight missing. This engine was running perfectly except for a tapping noise coming from the passenger side head. This was going to be a simple valve adjustment. I have it now that while the engine is running I can loosen the rocker arm nut until the "clacking" starts then tighten until it just stops then add 1/2 turn more. I have 3 cylinders giving me the strange bouncing from max to zero. Could something like this be cause by valve adjustment?