Thread: Park position for windshield wipers

Park position for windshield wipers

The park position on my Camaros wipers is about 4inches from the lower windshield molding. Looks like puke. I think they should park either on the molding or maybe 1inch above it. I have tried 2 used working motors and one new (not rebuilt) motor and 2 switches. I have made sure on all of them that the alignment marks line up as in the book. I have been fooling with hot rods, & restorations for around 56 yrs. and dadgumit this one has whipped my a--. I have tried every thing I know to try. If anyone knows what I may do: I am open for suggestions. Thanks Sam

Maybe a dumb suggestion, can you rekey and reinstall the wiper arms on the gear? Position them at a lower angle to start, not sure how that will affect operational sweep....just a thought..

Also, us your other linkage adjusted correctly?

Can't rekey motor it pretty much is what it is. Is 67 transmission different from 68? If so would this cause the problem?

First a little history not sure if they are the same, 64 chevy C-10, bad wiper motor, picked up a good wiper motor but stripped gears, thought I could swap gear boxes, ground out rivets on both units, good gearbox full of grease still viable, rather than clean it all out I just spread it back out on the gears, bolted it all back together, installed it, it stopped short of the mark about four inches...took a little time with the old gear box and realized that the (park) stop contacts are actually in the gearbox two brass contacts, whether or not the later camaro units are the same not sure and whether or not the park contacts are adjustable..
    Last edited by 406Rich; 07-22-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    `69 RS/SS
    `64 C10 Short Box
    `37 Ford Coupe Chevy powered

I'm lost with transmission, you mean the box for the wipers, or the one that moves the car?

Wiper gear box is called transmission...!
    `69 RS/SS
    `64 C10 Short Box

The yes, it may cause a problem if the part numbers are different. I think it unlikely that GM would use different parts in those years however.

Found the problem. 67 Camaro wiper transmission (linkage) and arm on the back of the motor are all by themselves for 1967. 68-69 will not work properly on a 67.

Sam also found out from another source that if the ground tang is broken off you`ll have the same issue...
    `69 RS/SS
    `64 C10 Short Box