Thread: 1969 Camaro SS VIN & COWL tag ID ?

1969 Camaro SS VIN & COWL tag ID ?

Z1.jpgHello,

I'm obviously bran new to this forum & I like most I am looking for some help.

I found an "allegedly" a 1969 Camaro SS that originally had a 396 big block 4 speed.

The Camaro was dismantled as part of a failed restoration project and has been siting in pieces for 15 years.

The car does not have the original motor or transmission anymore, but I was looking and hoping someone could ID the VIN & COWL tag for me?

I know a lot of Camaros have had VINS & tags swapped out to make them look like original SS models and I was told some of the "experts" can even tell if the rivets in the vins & cowl tags are original.

I've also included a picture of the car prior to disassembly. After the 396 was "blown up" it was replaced with a 350 and the emblems added on I guess or at least that's what I was told.

ANY HELP OR INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE,
    Attached Images Attached Images

The tag looks unmolested, I'll try to find a vin decoder for a first generation for you....

That would be great !

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and hope you can find a VIN decoder.

Best regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by KnightFury View Post
    The tag looks unmolested, I'll try to find a vin decoder for a first generation for you....

I very much appreciate the links and you taking the time to post them.

Hoping to buy this car that is in pieces in a barn. Complete minus original motor & transmission.

Steve

Steve there are several areas the will denote a big block car, the non air cars heater hose placement at the firewall will be almost under the fender/ firewall bolt far pass side, also the big block front sub frame will have a deeper depression in the crossmember, only comparing the two sub frames side by side will reveal the difference. If you have a chance post some photos of the two areas, maybe we can determine its originality...
    `69 RS/SS
    `64 C10 Short Box
    `37 Ford Coupe Chevy powered

I sure will and I appreciate the information.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 406Rich View Post
    Steve there are several areas the will denote a big block car, the non air cars heater hose placement at the firewall will be almost under the fender/ firewall bolt far pass side, also the big block front sub frame will have a deeper depression in the crossmember, only comparing the two sub frames side by side will reveal the difference. If you have a chance post some photos of the two areas, maybe we can determine its originality...

I know this probably won't help, but the car is in "billion" pieces and there is a little video of the chassis (4:10) and sub frame though admittedly not very good

Last edited by USMC2531; 06-25-2017 at 05:35 PM.