Thread: scored a 454

scored a 454

Hi all,
    Sorry if this has been asked many times before. I just scored a 1973 454 that was an automatic. I am putting it in my 68 camaro and plan on using a 4-speed manual tranny. I know when doing this swap I need a pilot bushing, flywheel, clutch, etc. What I don't know is do I need an externally balanced flywheel? I assume it will be an eleven inch clutch. I also don't know which bell housing I need. This is a fully functional running motor with all the accessories for a drop in and run situation. I heard it run and verified it has the 049 oval port heads . Complete carb to pan including starter and headers, even the fan and radiator! all for $1300. How did I do? Its got great oil pressure, no noises, no smoke., no leaks. new mini starter, new alternator, new MSD and wires.

Do you have the block casting number? 454s are externally balanced engines from the factory...

Nice score. You didn't mention what the motor was coming out of, Depending on the original application, you my have to change the oil pan and pickup as well.