Win $ 500 Dollars worth of new Camaro parts Supplied by our CPP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win $ 500 Dollars worth of new Camaro parts Supplied by our CPP

Win $ 500 Dollars worth of new Camaro parts Supplied by our CPP

Win $ 500 Dollars worth of new Camaro Parts Supplied by Classic Performance Products

The winner will get 500.00 worth of new parts made by CPP to fit your Camaro, this offer only pertains to new vehicle parts made by CPP

Rules

You must own a Camaro.

You must be an active member of camaroownerss.com

Post the story/history of your Camaro here.

This will be open until April 1 then the sponsors will look at every post and select the best story and decide the winner.

The story should include photos and how to got your Camaro the restoration progress or anything of interesting about your Camaro. The more info the better.

Thanks

Otis

2. Remove Advertisements
    CamaroOwners.com
    Advertisements

Hey my name is Rick. This is my first Camaro. Purchased this spring so I don't have a ton of history with it like so many others here probably do. Always liked the 2nd Gen Camaro so that's what lead me to purchase my 71 Z28. It's a 350/th350 car. Not sure what else to sat about it. Got the car for a great price and is awesomely clean for a Mn car. Thanks.

We bought a brand new 1986 2dr coupe in mid year. We still have it,parked it in nov. 2004 with 87000 miles on it. Never been wrecked or it never has any rust. It is still 100% correct with its v6 auto. The car is parked in the back of the garage, hard to get to or take pictures. The bottom line, this camaro has never been touched. The inside is just as good as the outside. From day one it has been parked inside our garage unless we were driving it.
    Larry & Gloria McLoud

Pictures sure would help

Otis

Hi I'm Dan,
    I really could use the $500 of camaro parts and then some. Its been 25 years since my last camaro a 1967 rs/ss 396. I was convinced I would never be able to afford another 67 camaro again never mind ever finding the money to restore it. I happened across a 55 chevy 4-door roller I grabbed for $600. The plan was to fix it up and sell it to finance a 67 camaro. Well then I found a 68 Firebird the guy wanted $2000 for it. I ended up with a even trade and was thrilled about it. I figure its a close to a camaro that I will ever have. The plan is to convert it to a camaro using all my favorite parts like a RS grill and SS hood. I also Scored a Cadillac 500 that i'm building for this car and a short shaft turbo 400. This mismatch of parts reminded me of Frankenstein and so the cars name Frankie was born. I need all the usual parts like frame rails, trunk pan and extensions, inner and outer wheel house, two full quarters, rockers and more. I cant wait until the spring to start the tear down. The mostly stock build big block should yield about 400hp and 500ftlb of torque and only weigh about 60 lbs more then a small block.P1010684.jpg

In 1973 I was home on leave, and got my old '55 Chevy gasser out to drive. A few days into my leave I got up and someone had stolen my beloved '55 Chevy! I was devastated, and it was never found. Late that year I was home again and my father mentioned he'd seen a car close by for sale and I might be interested. When I asked what it was, he said it was a Camaro. We decided to go take a look at it.
    As we walked up to the car I was not that interested, as I hoped it was a 1st Gen, but instead it was a 1971 Camaro. I figured we were there, so why not look? The seller was out immediately and raving about how nice it was, and how unusual it was. I sort of shut out the noise and just looked around it. When he popped the hood I got more interested, as it had a BBC engine! He told me how he had purchased the car new, and had the 290HP 427 engine installed at the dealer. He had all the receipts and paperwork for the car, and engine swap. We made a deal, and I drove it home.
    Over the years I raced the car on weekends and drove it every day to work. Even after kids came along it was still our family car for the first two. Then I wanted to get more serious racing, so we got a a2nd vehicle, and the Camaro engine and car got more serious. After about 15 years of weekend drags, and hard racing on the Camaro, it decided to give up and quit. I parked it in the garage for 11 years, and it became a catch all for whatever sat on top of it.
    Then in 1999 I came into a small inheritance and my wife said, "Either fix the Camaro, or sell it." So I cleared off the car and began by pulling the engine. Tore it down and took everything to a local machine shop for .040" bore, line boring the journals, rod rework, new TRW forged 9.5:1 pistons, and updating the heads with new SS valves and hardened seats. Put a Crane solid lifter cam in, and a set of Crower roller tip steel rockers. I reinstalled the old Edelbrock Torker, and a new 750 Holley double pumper. While the engine was out I added a power brake booster, as it came with manual disc/drum brakes. Fired the new engine in early 2000 and drove the car for several years without any changes.
    Then in 2010 I had the first accident in the Camaro's life! Had a gal swap lanes in front of me and anchor the brakes! Bent up the nose a little, but not bad. That was an opportunity to redo the body, and paint. So I put all new sheet metal on the Camaro, and switched to an aftermarket 3" cowl induction hood. After getting the body down to metal, I sprayed it with primer epoxy and let my local body shop do the final prep, and then paint it GM Stealth Gray, with black sapphire pearl SS stripes.
    When the car got home I tore out the interior and completely redid that. Starting with a new headliner, and then having the seats recovered, and ordered new door panels to replace the worn out panels. I still had a 4 point roll bar in the car, and decided I wanted to keep it. I hadn't had the backseat in since the 1980's, so I built a "business coupe" type package tray and back panel instead of replacing the backseat. I covered that with black carpet to match the new factory carpet kit I installed. Changed out the factory horseshoe shifter for a B&M shifter also. I removed the old Cragar S/S mags and tires and went with a factory Corvette style slot. 7" in front, and had the rears widened from 7" to 10". I also pulled the 4.10 gears out, and replaced them with 3.56 gears for a better highway/city combination. I pulled all the front suspension off and rebuilt the control arms with polyurethane bushings, and new Moog ball joints. All new front and rear swaybars, with poly bushings were also installed.
    So that's the 43 year story of my '71 Camaro.

I was hanging out in town when I was 18 and I was in my '67 SS396 Chevelle with a Powerglide. A friend of mine came through town in his '69 Camaro with a 4 speed and he was chirping the tires as he shifted gears. My Powerglide was completely boring. I followed him out of town and then turned around to go back when I went by a house with a '69 Camaro sitting in the drive way. There were 2 guys looking under the hood, so I pulled in to take a look. As I walked by I saw the 4 speed shifter in the car and I had to have it. After the guys left I made a deal to trade my Chevelle for the Camaro. That was in '84 and I still have the car.

Turns out it was a RS/SS396 car that had a truck 350 in it at the time. The car had a lot of rust that had been covered up with body filler. When I started taking it apart I found many holes in the body. I ended up replacing every body part except the roof, right door, right rocker and the lower valance. I used all GM parts because you could still get them from the Chevy dealer at that time. I couldn't get the outer rear wheel wells, and no reproductions were available at that time. Pro Street was getting big at that time and that's what I wanted. So I cut the trunk floor out and got a set of wheel tubs and started building a frame for a narrowed 9 inch Ford and some 14X15 inch Centerlines. I had to have a big block so I built a 427 for it. And it had to have a 4 speed, so I built a M20 with a Super Shifter.

It was 18 years before I got to drive it again. I got married, bought a house, built a garage, had a kid, built a new house and another garage, had another kid and the money just wasn't there to finish the car. I built a lot of other cars for other people to get money for my car. And as everyone knows they are never really finished. I'm still working on it and making it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought my 1968 SS Camaro in 1972. it was ordered as a bare bones car for racing by the original owner. (which I have met with and talked to). it was a 396/375, 4 speed with 4:88 gears . console and radio delete. the first owner raced it for a while and sold the car. the second owner also raced the car and between the two of them they destroyed the engine several times and had it rebuilt. the second owner listed the car for sale and that was the beginning of my love for the Camaro.
    I did a little street racing with it, but at age 20 and my first BB car it didn't take me long to find out you couldn't run the rpms that I did in my SB. so it went poof again.
    in October of 74 my bride, myself and best man left the church for the reception hall in the Camaro (should have a picture)
    it sat through the winter and when spring came I couldn't wait to get it out. WELL that was the last time I drove it until 36 years later the engine exploded.
    January of 2011 I started a complete rebuild of the car. every piece of rubber on the car was replaced as well as an upgrade to disk brakes on the front, new springs front and rear, transmission and rear rebuild. the body had a few small dings from storage, but most of the original sheet metal is still on the car.
    I did replace the left front fender, right front inner fender and the radiator support that was it.
    the car still supports the original color corvette bronze. the power plant is a dynode 532 horse 383 with 511' of torque the original 4 speed with a gear vendor overdrive unit and now 3:55 gears

When I was just a little boy, maybe 4 or 5 years old, (1976) my Dad called my Mom from Summer Carlisle (PA). He said to send $7000 with a friend of his to buy a 1969 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car. It was almost all the money my parents had at the time. My mom reluctantly did it. He told her he would work all the overtime he could to replace the money. There was no way he could leave without the car. My Dad put it in storage as soon as it came home. I remember telling my Dad that I wanted that car when I grow up. He would occasionally start it up, but I don't think he ever took it out on the road. Many years go by & very many very good offers from people who wanted to buy it, but my Dad said "My Son wants that car, so I'll never sell it." The car eventually got surrounded by many parts, wheels, ect. In 2013 my Dad passed away from a long battle with cancer. After digging the car out I got to finally start to get "My Camaro" street worthy. After a few months it was ready to take it's first drive in 37+ years. I had very mixed emotions on that first drive, but I think my dad would be happy to see it on the road after all those years. It is a nice driver quality car, but I would love to get replacement interior for the car. It is all original car & that's the way my Dad would want it. The $500 would help tremendously. IMG_0801.jpgIMG_0804.jpg

My 69Z story to now...

I aquired my Z in Sept 1981. A buddy new I'd been wanting a Z for a while. My step-brother had one - a Dover white with Tuxedo black stripes with black interior. My friend found a listing in a local car trader paper for a 69Z Tuxedo black with Dover white stripes and WHITE interior. IMG_0940.jpgI thought it was really expensive but had to check it out.
    I traded a 69 ElCamino and $3500 and made a LONG drive home- it had 4:88-1 gears so it was not a fast trip It also had a fairly lumpy cam that sounded NICE (my first big cam motor)IMG_0993.jpgIMG_0995.jpg
    I took it to a number of carshows over the years and a few improvements/changes. TA radials,chrome wheel opening moldings, factory rear window defroster, tilt streering wheel and a passenger grab handle over the glovebox.
    I only drove it on sunny days and special occasions- weekend cruises, shows and parades. Parades in this car is not a good idea! A Christmas parade took 45 minutes to go a half mile. The carb loaded up and needed cleared out a number of times. One of other camaro club members following me was teared up from the rich avgas fumes. Did I mention the Charlie horse in my clutch leg? Ouch! 8)
    The car has set for months/years at a time. Time is hard on them while sitting idle! One year it wouldn't start. Checked compression since turned over so easy. Best of 8 cylinders was 2 with 35 lbs reading, the other 6 was 0lbs!
    The block had been decked, I was told when I first got the car. That was the reason the "DZ" numbers were gone. I did confirm while rebuilding that it was a true Z motor. It was an 010 casting on back of block. It had the correct matching casting numbers on the heads. The 1178 steel crank and I found a correct factory intake. Also sported the factory windage tray. I had a set of .030 over 12:1 domed Aries pistons. I called Comp cams and talked to "higher up" office person that recommended a custom grind cam since the "off the shelf" variety was rather tame. Since I had the steep 4:88's and a stick he recommended a .495/.485 lift with .320 duration ( my memory on the duration is a little fuzzy-from 17 years ago)IMG_0959.jpg
    I put a set of Hooker Super Comp headers-ceramic coated breathing through 3" to the back to end up with 2 chamber Flow Masters with the SS style tips -hidden except for an inch or two showing below the quarter panel. This all was insured by MSD ignition/rev limiter stopping the party at a mild 6000rpm-during break in anyway.
    I did make it a point to start the car every few months. Lesson 1 learned!

First wife died of cancer about 3 years later, and left to gather dust for a few years but still starting a couple times a year. It made beautiful music with that cam and 12:1's!
    Remarried 6 years later and wanted to give the new bride a ride in it. Lesson 2 was soon discovered! It fired up perfectly and sounded sweet! Let it warm up while checking tires and dusting off. We got in and it kept grinding trying to get in gear.??? Clutch stuck to flywheel! 8( She ran out of time for the ride and had to go back to work.
    I worked on un-sticking the clutch, unsuccessfully. I gathered up tools to pull the trans. My Dad stopped by to offer help and I showed him what I'd been trying to do to free it up. Third try showing him it broke loose!!! Yea! We went for a ride and found a brake was pulling! Silicone fluid does last longer but still degrades.
    This was around the time I recalled a story my Dad told me about his 41 Chevy. He stopped in at a dealer where his car was originally sold from. The salesman offered a new Caprice in straight across trade. He did not take the offer but gave me the idea to ask some of the dealers the same type of deal.
    I drove by 2 dealers a couple times on my days off from work with no luck. I had 2 left I was willing to ask the same. Both were more of a drive and had to make more trips to the little airport for some 101 avgas first.
    Stopped at Classic Chevrolet in Owasso. I had sent some pictures by e-mail to check on interest first. We agreed on a day to get together as long as it was nice out. I had 2-3 salesman come out to check out my car. One wanted to test drive it- OH Nooo. I'll TAKE you for a ride- but that didn't happen either.
    I wanted a 2SS but in salesman style worked on me for a 1 SS. I said I'd MAYBE consider a loaded 6cyl convertible. They just happen to have the right color one come off the transport with the plastic still on it.
    My wife talked me into the 6 being ok-better mpg and all. I figured I was getting a mix of my old 70 corvette convertible with 300hp AND my 69 with better mpg from either and more hp than the vette -323hp 8)
    IMG_1211.jpg
    Only thing missing was the V8 sound. Two and a half years later I was playing around on Craigslist and google looking for a low mileage 2 SS stick. I found two- 100 miles east and 100 miles west of me. They were a close match. East was black interior with 21k miles and west was blk and grey interior with 18k on it with a sunroof.
    I made a few emails to both and planned to see the one east first. I had the new wife's blessing to trade in her car-a real clean one owner '04 Sunfire. I still had the original window sticker for it. A day before I was to go I received an email that it was no longer available. I called later on to confirm that message. I'm in luck, still there but was planning to move to a different lot since it had been there for their 90 limit on the lot.
    It was raining that day so no reason much for a test drive. Salesman fired it up and I discovered it HAD some Pipe's on it 8) ! Started to discover more extras they didn't mention. It had a new set of tires, AIR RAID intake with K&N filter, doorsill plates, chrome covers under hood in numerous places, a trunk lid cover, a ZL1 short throw shifter,tinted windows and later found a skip shift eliminator and presumably a tune that eliminated the Driver info warning to skip shift,and a strut brace between shock towers-painted White. Made the deal and rolled out on less than a quarter tank- cheap suckers wouldn't even put gas in it 8( I topped it off and reset trip and mpg. Their quick detail amounted to spraying some coconut smelly stuff inside. ���� I cracked the windows for the trip home. Cool news was -I seen 27 mpg on display for about 50 miles till I hit Okla and came down to 24. Not bad for a 426hp car!! I get 21-22.8 daily driving to work (70%hwy/30%town)
    Now the main goal is to pay to car off in 3 more years. I've planned to add a Hurst Roll Control as soon as I get a few free days.
    I'd love to put the HID's like the convertible has with factory halo's,but at $700-$800 a side it might be a while before that happens lol!
    I'm not sure if I can link my photo album on this site to this story but ...any pointers would be helpful ! 8)
    That's my Camaro story-thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ZSS; 12-12-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Try to add pictures??

12. Remove Advertisements
    CamaroOwners.com
    Advertisements