Thread: GM Strike in 1972

GM Strike in 1972

I have a 1973 Camaro that I believe was a 1972 Camaro left dormant on the assembly line during the 174 day union strike in September 1972. It has a wiring harness for the charging system that only the pre 1973's had. Or did they use 1972 outdated parts to build early 1973 models. What other ways are there to distinguish a 1972 from a 1973

if they don't have a library here then go to one of the other Camaro sites they have a library that has the schematics of the years of the Camaros but I can't see any major changes in the charging system wiring. but there are some parts over lap. my engine block is original to the car but the stamping is for a 72 but the casting was a 71 so there was some over lapping.

1972 and earlier models have the little black box external voltage regulator mounted on the radiator support that 1973's don't have. Starting in 1973 the regulator is built into the alternator. My 1973 has the little black box external voltage regulator. This minor difference has always bothered me for the 30+ years I've owned the car. Anybody else have a 1973 with an external regulator?

Are you able to change the alt. to a newer model? Obviously you can get rid of that voltage reg. LFT

Here is an article written by Wes Vann.
    His write up will be helpful in eliminating external the voltage regulator
    Wes Vann was instrumental in the early success of Team Chevelle. He will never be forgotten.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

Administrator

Wow, haven't thought about Wes in a long time. Just ran across his old HEI TechRef a couple days ago.