69 rustomod
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 69 rustomod

69 rustomod

image.jpgI started this project several years ago and have never posted any documentation anywhere. As I start to round the bend on the build up, I would like to put some of it out there! I appreciate the effort so many have made documenting their processes, and I've found many prior forums to be very valuable in my build. I named this project "rustomod" for obvious reasons; started with a car that used to be my daily driver. 69 X44 307 powerglide, no options but a lot of documentation. Drove it around for several years in Washington, D.C. Then anchorage, alaska when I moved here in '03. Sometime about 2006 I decided to sand it down for a quick weekend paint job and that's when the fun began. If someone could help me figure out how to embed photos in the text that would be awesome, for the time being you all will have to make due with little icons
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CamaroOwners.com
    Advertisements

Just a little of what I dug into during my quest to perform a "weekend paint job"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok so it turns out I don't even know how to add to my own thread, so I will keep replying as I run across new old pictures
    As I got going on the weekend paint job, I started to discover rust that I was unaware of. I bought the car around 2001 and it was from Maryland, so I was aware of the risk for rust, and I knew about a few spots that were bubbling. What I didn't know was that it had been "restored" in the 80s, and major rust had been addressed (covered up) at the time. The method of repair was pretty interesting. Just about every panel had been covered by a piece of hand formed sheet metal, which was then brazed on. Fenders, rockers, doors, and quarters all had a false front, but none of the rust had actually been removed. Someone actually did a pretty thorough and artistic job of bending it in. By the time I got through all the double skinned panels, there was nothing left of my car but the A pillars, B pillars, and roof skin, which was in good shape. Inner and outer rockers were gone, as well as the floor. Rear frame rails were shot, upper and lower cowls and firewall basically crumbled in my fingertips. As I took panels off I started to build a rolling frame to try to maintain the geometry of what was left of the car. Once I had the roof and pillars shored up, my wife and I could lift it and carry it around.

Wow I guess you did take it apart, that's a fairly elaborate dolly system you have there. Keep up the good work now all's I have to do is get off my lazy butt and start working on my 68 or the 73.

Mark

69 Best year ever
    Michael

I'm struggling a little bit finding some of the older pics, how many old computers and disks and remote hard drives I have to look through...suffice it to say I have spent a lot of time with aftermarket sheet metal. It was before AMD was an option too, so I used all Dynacorn metal. Needless to say fitting it all took a while, especially for an amateur hobbyist like me. Also, in the process I built a big addition to my garage and had a couple kids! Got a little sidetracked but back on it now.

I think you're sandbagging just a tad saying you're an amateur hobbyist. Not many fitting that description will blow a car apart like that, lol!

To embed a pic, do this -
    [*img]https://www.camaroowners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=263&d=1479318767[/img]
    Remove the *
    In the header just above, on the second row, 4th box, 4th icon - you can click on that and it will handle the tags for you.

Us guys with old eyeballs sure appreciate seeing big pix!

Last edited by Zoomin; 11-24-2016 at 08:58 PM.
    1969 Camaro Coupe

Thanks Zoomin, appreciate the tip and the sort of offhanded compliment
    I actually don't do this stuff for a living, but had a little paint and body training 25 years ago at a custom yacht building outfit. I have done several cars to varying degrees, starting with a true weekend paint job to my most recent restoration of a 70 chevelle finished in 05. I have been working on this camaro for literally 10 years and it is my first real frame off. During that time I have also built two remote cabins and a big garage for my hobby. All learning experiences done by an amateur. I always figure I might be slow but I'll eventually get there

image.jpg

Many many hours of AM sheet metal working, fitting, swearing, removing, and refitting.

Ok Zoomin, I don't get it. I should just send you my pics and let you blow them up for me
    Apparently I can't even figure out how to get them right side up! Anyhow, there is me with epoxy primer, high build, and a glimpse of my '71 402 BB

12. Remove Advertisements
    CamaroOwners.com
    Advertisements